Streptomycin is an antibiotic medication that is used to treat certain conditions, including tuberculosis, plague, some types of pneumonia and other serious or life-threatening rare illnesses. This medication works by killing the bacteria that cause the illness.
This medication should only be used to treat bacterial infections such as the ones that it is usually prescribed for. Using this medication unnecessarily or using it to treat infections that are not caused by bacteria is dangerous because bacteria may develop resistance to the medication.
This medication can cause kidney disease and kidney failure. Patients with kidney disease should receive lower doses of this medication if it is given at all to them. Some patients may also have neurological problems as a result of taking this medication, including damage to the optic nerve.